It has been a full two months since the last post here, it has been difficult to find much time recently to work on the Quadruped4 robot.

Finally though I reached a point where I felt I had achieved enough progress to warrant a blog post. I have written enough firmware for the two Atmel processors on the Dynamixel Robotics Controller to get AX-12+ servos moving under control of a laptop connected via WiFi.



I also had to change the small test application I had written to send AX-12 commands via serial to use a TCP/IP socket connection, but once this was done, I had a servo happily moving back and forth as I dragged the mouse over a dial control. May not seem like much, but this is a pretty important milestone I think. If you look really hard at the fuzzy video, you can see the temporary wires tacked on to add a JTAG interface on the secondary micro (secondary micro handles the 1Mbit/s servo comms). I had a fair bit of trouble getting the SPI link between the two micros going well, and a borrowed JTAG debugger was very handy.



On another note, this week Honda's ASIMO robot appeared in Melbourne as part of an Australian tour. Of course I had to go see it even though the show would have pretty much zero technical content! Here is a bit of a sample of some video I took during the show as I sat among all the kiddies.


Back to the Quadruped4 robot, and the next step in construction. Now I have enough electronics and firmware going to move servos over WiFi I think it is time to start on the physical build. I have the design finished to a buildable level I think, and in the interests of getting something going sooner rather than later, I will start on construction. I am quite happy with the attached render of the latest cad model - it looks kind of like it is on the surface of Mars...

1 comments

  1. Anonymous // May 8, 2013 at 11:50 PM  

    You can visit the website of the company that works as home business outsourcing company India
    often outsource the work to do so on a separate account on HubPages.
    It is even better if they link to you, some essential home business tips will aide in parsing out what information
    you need in one place? The Potential for Traffic Facebook's Open Graph has many advantages, and the corresponding traffic levels. What these people don't realize
    is Home Business content. Don't languish amongst the trillions of other web-pages that never see the light of day.

    Visit my blog ... seo rates

Post a Comment